home » speech and language therapy department
Speech and Language Therapy Department
The Speech and Language Therapy Department is staffed by six fulltime Speech and Language Therapists who specialise in the assessment and management of adult communication and swallowing disorders.
The department provides assessment, diagnosis and management of speech, language, voice and swallowing disorders to both inpatients and outpatients, and their families/carers.
We treat the following patient groups:
- Acute and progressive neurological disorders;
- Traumatic brain injury;
- Post neurosurgery;
- Head injury;
- Mental Health;
- ENT = voice problems; post laryngectomy, tracheostomy tubes;
- Head and neck surgery;
- Care of the elderly;
- Post general surgery;
- Post radiation therapy;
- Cancer care.
The department offers both individual and group sessions.
Speech and Language Therapy Sessions
- Assessment, diagnosis and treatment of patients with disorders of speech, language, voice and swallowing.
- Videofluoroscopic assessment of swallowing disorders.
- Digital stroboscopy assessment of voice disorders.
- Weekly adult communication groups.
- Swallowing and communication management of patients with tracheostomy tubes.
- Management of patients post laryngectomy.
- Lectures to other health professionals.
- Education of Speech and Language students.
A weekly videofluoroscopy clinic is held in the X-Ray department to assess swallowing function in patients with oropharyngeal swallowing disorders. This occurs every Friday from 11.30am – 12.30pm.
A thrice-weekly digital stroboscopy clinic is held in the outpatient department in conjunction with the ENT team every Tuesday, Thursday and Friday morning to examine patients with voice disorders.
Direct Line to Department: 2214859 (+ voicemail)