National Patient Experience Survey 2018 Now Live
1st May 2018
On the 1st May this year, in-patients at SVUH will be invited to participate in the annual National Patient Experience (NPE) Survey which is being run by the Health Information and Quality Authority (HIQA) in partnership with the Health Service Executive (HSE) and the Department of Health during the month of May.
The NPE Survey will be distributed by post to all patients who meet the following criteria; a minimum of a 24-hour stay in a public acute hospital in Ireland during the month of May this year, provided they are over 16 and have a postal address in Ireland. Patients will also have the opportunity to complete the survey online.
SVUH performed very well nationally in last year’s survey, receiving a 51% response rate (40% was the national target). 746 patients in total responded. Survey feedback indicated that we scored very highly in our overall treatment of patients with regards to; privacy (92%) and respect and dignity (90%). Some areas were highlighted as areas for improvement and these included; communication on medication management and information at point of discharge.
The Quality and Patient Safety Department is supporting various departments and staff throughout the hospital in progressing a number of quality improvement projects as a direct response to the 2017 survey findings. Some of these initiatives include:
• Project to improve discharge planning coordination with patients and their families
• To generate and provide additional after care management information for patients and/or their families (including advice on medication management, warning signs to be aware of and advice about how to respond to any deterioration in the individual’s condition)
• Review of opportunities to increase catering options for patients
• Project to identify and support the emotional needs of patients during their stay in SVUH.
All staff who interact with patients from their point of admission to discharge are encouraged to communicate that the National Patient Experience Survey will be live during the month of May this year. Wards will be provided with discharge packs which will be given to patients at the point of discharge from the hospital.
The hospital looks forward to receiving the 2018 NPE survey results later this year and progressing some new quality improvement projects based on the results.
For further information on the survey please visit www.patientexperience.ie
Patient and Visitor Newsletter
Our newsletter contains all the important information you need when visiting our hospital whether you are a patient or a visitor.
- Travelling to and from the hospital
- Elective admission information
- Emergency Department attendance
- Patient safety information
- Information on what we will do to get you home
- Data protection
- Security information
- Infection control policy
- No smoking policy
- Visiting arrangements
- Daffodil Centre
- St. Vincent’s Foundation