Skip to main content

You are here:

Our History

History timeline

1834 January: Earl of Meath’s House, 56 St. Stephen’s Green purchased on behalf of the Sisters of Charity. Sisters take formal possession of house. J.M O’Ferrall appointed first physician
1835 April: St. Vincent’s Hospital opens with beds for 12 female patients
1841 57 St. Stephen’s Green purchased. House collapses during alterations
1858 Death of founder Mary Aikenhead
1879 55 St. Stephen’s Green purchased for £1,300
1888 58 and 59 St. Stephen’s Green purchased
1892 Training school for nurses opened
1910 May: Nurses’ home built – first conferring of medical degrees of National University of Ireland
1912 94 Lower Leeson Street converted into semi-private nursing home
1917 60 St. Stephen’s Green becomes semiprivate nursing home
1934 January: Centenary celebrations July: Lands at Elm Park purchased for new hospital for £25,000
1948 November: Permission to build a 450 – bed hospital for £1,350,000 granted
1956 January: First sod turned on site of new hospital
1957 University departments of Medicine and Surgery established in St. Vincent’s, Stephen Green
1958 Pembroke Nursing Home purchased
1960 Permission granted for 250 bed hospital for £1,500,000
1965 Permission granted for 450 bed hospital
1968 October: Community take possession of St. Vincent’s Hospital Elm Park
1969 July: Pembroke Nursing Home complete
1970 January: First patients admitted to Elm Park from St. Stephen’s Green. October: First operation carried out. 1 November: St. Vincent’s Hospital, St. Stephen’s Green moves entirely to St. Vincent’s Hospital, Elm Park. Official opening by the Minister for Health, Mr. Erskine Childers
1972 Board of Management established
1974 May: Private nursing home opened
1989 Education and Research Centre completed
1990 May: Celebration of centenary of School of Nursing
1993 24th January: 1st Liver Transplant carried out
2002 Dec: St. Vincent’s Healthcare Group is established
2006 Opening of newly constructed Clinical Services Building including Ambulatory Day Care Centre (ADCC) suites. Hume St. transfer to St Vincent’s University Hospital
2009 St. Vincent’s University Hospital became a smoke free campus
2010 First public hospital in Ireland to receive Joint Commission International (JCI) Accreditation
2011 Joint Advisory Group (JAG) Accreditation
2012 Opening of the Nutley Wing – 110 bed single en-suite ward block
2013 Opening of the Acute Medical Unit at St. Vincent’s University Hospital
2016 November: Announcement of planned construction of the new National Maternity Hospital (NMH) at St. Vincent’s University Hospital, Elm Park Campus
2017 March: 1000th Liver Transplant completed at St. Vincent’s University Hospital