- Recommended visiting time is 20 minutes – and no more than two persons should visit at any one time.
- Children under 12 years should only visit in exceptional circumstances and permission to visit needs to be given by the nurse manager.
- Visitors to Intensive Care Unit (ICU) or Coronary Care Unit (CCU) should be aware that as many patients are seriously ill, visiting is restricted to immediate family members for short periods only.
Ward visiting times
- Daytime: 14.00 – 16.00
- Evening: 18.30 – 20.30
- Intensive Care Unit: 15.00 – 19.30
- Coronary Care Unit: 15.00 – 19.30
See Emergency Department for visiting times.
The best time to phone the wards is between 10.00 – 12.00 and 14.00 – 17.00.
St. Vincent’s University Hospital does not accept responsibility for patient property and we recommend that patients pass all unnecessary cash, jewellery and clothing for safekeeping to their next of kin – as soon as possible following admission. Property retained by patients remains entirely the responsibility of the patient and the hospital shall not be liable for any loss or damage however caused.
Infection control policy
One of the most important ways of reducing transmission of infection from person to person is by good hand hygiene. Visitors to the hospital should use the alcohol gels available throughout the hospital to clean their hands before and after visiting patients and patients are reminded to clean their hands regularly, particulary before eating. Hand hygiene information leaflets for patients and visitors are available throughout the hospital.
No smoking policy
St. Vincent’s University Hospital promotes a completely smoke-free environment throughout the hospital. In the interest of patients, staff and visitors, smoking is not permitted either inside the hospital or on the hospital grounds.