Pathology and Laboratory Medicine
The Department of Pathology and Laboratory Medicine at St. Vincent’s University Hospital provides a diagnostic and consultative service for the hospital, GPs and other hospitals in the region. It also provides a regional and national referral centre for specialised tests. Our scope of laboratory services includes blood transfusion, haematology, clinical chemistry, histopathology, immunology and microbiology services all available on site.
Are you a patient, GP or courier delivering a specimen?
Drop your specimen into the Specimen collection box: Mon to Fri 08.00 – 19.00.
The specimen collection box is located at the Hospital Reception desk inside the main entrance.
Are you a GP placing an order for request forms/specimen container?
- SVUH use the services of Durbin to provide stock orders to SVUH GPs
- Place your order via:
- email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Phone : (01) 428 7882
- fax: (01) 428 7883
- Durbin will send the supplies directly to the GP practice
Are you a patient being referred for a blood test?
- Please access our Phlebotomy Services for more information
Would you like to find out more about our mortuary service?
- Visit Mortuary Services for details
Are you an External Service User or a GP looking for more information on the Pathology service?
- Refer to the Pathology User Handbook in the ‘For GPs‘ section in the home page of this website
The Department of Pathology and Laboratory Medicine complies with INAB regulations and International Standard ISO15189 for all laboratories. In addition, the hospital blood bank will comply with EU Directive 2002/98/EC and AML-BB titled “Minimum Requirements for Blood Transfusion Compliance with Article 14 (Traceability) and Article 15 (Notification of Serious Adverse Reactions and Events)”. The Tissue Establishment will comply with EU Directive 2004/23/EC, 2006/86/EC, S.I. 158 of 2006 and S.I. 598 of 2007. Microbiology will comply with S.I. No. 452/2011 Infectious Diseases (Amendment) regulations based on the principle Regulations S.I. No. 390/1981 Infectious Diseases Regulations 1981
Information for GPs
Please refer to the Pathology User Handbook in the ‘For GPs‘ section in the home page of this website for further information.
|Central Specimen Reception||Mon to Fri: 08:00 – 18:00|
|Routine laboratory hours
Mon to Fri: 08:00 – 20:00
Sat: 09:30 – 12:45
|Emergency out of hours service: on-call
Mon to Fri: 20:00 – 08:00
Sat: 12:45 to Monday 08:00
|Histology||Mon to Fri: 08:00 – 18:00
Sat: 09:30 -12:45
|Immunology||Mon to Fri: 08:00 to 17:00|
Other useful contact details
- Director of Pathology and Laboratory Medicine-Dr. Niall Swan
- email: email@example.com
- tel: (01) 221 4330
- Laboratory Manager- Mr. Donal Murphy
- email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- tel: (01) 221 4510
- Pathology Quality Manager- Ms. Anne Dickinson
- email: email@example.com
- tel: (01) 221 3695
- Phlebotomy Appointments
- Clinical Chemistry laboratory – general enquiries
- tel: (01) 221 4550
- Blood Transfusion laboratory – general enquiries
- tel: (01) 221 4449
- Haematology laboratory- general enquiries
- tel: (01) 221 4280
- Histopathology laboratory- general enquiries
- tel: (01) 221 4330
- Immunology laboratory – general enquiries
- tel: (01) 221 4598
- Microbiology laboratory – general enquiries
- tel: (01) 221 4450
- tel: (01) 221 4238
tel: (01) 221 4590
Clinical Services Building
St. Vincent’s University Hospital