St Vincent's Hospital was founded by Mother Mary Aikenhead foundress of the Religious Sisters of Charity and established at St Stephen's Green in 1834. The hospital was transferred to its present site in Elm Park in 1970 and subsequently changed its title to St Vincent's University Hospital in 1999.
St. Michael's Hospital, Dun Laoghaire was founded in 1876 and governed by the Sisters of Mercy. Transfer of ownership of St. Michael's to the Religious Sisters of Charity took place in March 2001 in exchange for the Children's Hospital, Temple Street.
St. Vincent's University Hospital is a major academic teaching hospital. We provide a front line emergency service and national/regional medical care at inpatient and outpatient level. St. Vincent's University Hospital provides in excess of forty medical specialities. The hospital has 479 in-patient beds, incorporating 7-day, 5-day and day care options. St Vincent's University Hospital is a health promoting hospital. Education and research are major components of the philosophy of St. Vincent's University Hospital.
Facilities are provided for the academic and clinical training of medical students, nurses, laboratory technicians, research scientists, physiotherapists, occupational therapists, radiographers, medical social workers, dieticians and speech therapists.
St Vincent's University Hospital is a NO SMOKING hospital. Patients, staff and visitors are not allowed to smoke in the hospital buildings or on the grounds. Please click here for more information.