The Nursing Department at St. Vincent’s University Hospital (SVUH) is one of the largest in Ireland providing world-class education and training to nurses since 1834.
Our department leads the way internationally by adopting the Careful Nursing Philosophy and Professional Practice Model to guide our nurses in providing patient centred care.
We have long established links and partnership with University College Dublin (UCD), in the School of Nursing, Midwifery and Health Systems, facilitating first-rate clinical experience opportunities for both undergraduate and post graduate nursing programmes. The department hosts clinical placements for over 300 undergraduate student nurses in our acute care setting on an annual basis.
Our hospital mission and values ensure we deliver excellence in patient care and that we put our patients at the centre of everything we do.
Nurse education and undergraduate training
- Nursing professional development is a priority within the Nursing Department. Our dedicated Nurse Education Centre at our Elm Park campus runs a number of continuous professional development courses and programmes to ensure that excellence in clinical practice is at the forefront of all nursing education for lifelong learning.
- As an academic teaching hospital, we also provide excellent clinical placements and reflective practice for undergraduate nursing students for the General Programme, the combined Children’s and General Programmes and the Mental Health Nursing Programme. Clinical placement coordinators are available to support the students and help clinical staff provide a positive learning environment and culture of continuous education.
Our clinical team
Ann Flynn is the hospital’s Director of Nursing. Ann leads a team of Directorate Nurse Managers and Assistant Directors of Nursing (ADON) to provide a vision and support to the clinical areas:
- Joan Killeen (Directorate Nurse Manager Unscheduled Care)
- Brian Murray (Directorate of Peri-Operative Medicine)
- Olivia Doyle (ADON for Infection Control)
- Michael Lally (ADON for Unscheduled Care)
- Mary Clarke (ADON for Unscheduled Care)
- Claire Best (ADON Patient Flow)
- Gill Carthy (ADON for Emergency, Acute Medicine & Cardiology)
- Nessa O’Herlihy (ADON for Emergency, Acute Medicine & Cardiology)
- (ADON for Critical Care)
- Mini Moby (ADON for Scheduled Care)
- Karl Pratt O’Brien (ADON for Scheduled Care)
- Louise Veitch (ADON for Operating Theatre)
- Sandra Shea (ADON for Corporate & COVID)
- Smita Mathew (ADON for Nurse Practice Development)
tel: (01) 221 4524