The Nursing Department at St. Vincent’s University Hospital (SVUH) is one of the largest in Ireland providing world-class education and training to nurses since 1834.
Our department leads the way internationally by adopting the Careful Nursing Philosophy and Professional Practice Model to guide our nurses in providing patient centred care.
We have long established links and partnership with University College Dublin (UCD), in the School of Nursing, Midwifery and Health Systems, facilitating first-rate clinical experience opportunities for both undergraduate and post graduate nursing programmes. The department hosts clinical placements for over 300 undergraduate student nurses in our acute care setting on an annual basis.
Our hospital mission and values ensure we deliver excellence in patient care and that we put our patients at the centre of everything we do. Download our Nursing Prospectus for more information.
Nurse education and undergraduate training
- Nursing professional development is a priority within the Nursing Department. Our dedicated Nurse Education Centre at our Elm Park campus runs a number of continuous professional development courses and programmes to ensure that excellence in clinical practice is at the forefront of all nursing education for lifelong learning.
- As an academic teaching hospital, we also provide excellent clinical placements and reflective practice for undergraduate nursing students for the General Programme, the combined Children’s and General Programmes and the Mental Health Nursing Programme. Clinical placement coordinators are available to support the students and help clinical staff provide a positive learning environment and culture of continuous education.
Our clinical team
Geraldine Regan is the hospital’s Director of Nursing. Geraldine leads a team of Assistant Directors of Nursing (ADON) to provide a vision and support to the clinical areas:
- Ann Flynn (ADON for Infection Control)
- Carolyn Donohoe (Nursing Practice Development)
- Angela Smith (ADON for Unscheduled Care)
- Priya Madhu (ADON for Emergency, Acute Medicine & Cardiology)
- Joan Kileen (ADON for Critical Care)
- Mini Moby (ADON for Scheduled Care)
- Shane Russell (ADON for Operating Theatre)
tel: (01) 221 4524