Infection Prevention and Control
The Department of Infection Prevention and Control works with all healthcare staff, patients and visitors to reduce the risk of transmission of infection.
Our priority is to reduce the risk of healthcare-associated infections through the implementation of good infection prevention and control practices particularly during the delivery of patient care.
The department provides:
- education of all healthcare staff on the management of patients with infections
- education of all healthcare staff on how to prevent the transmission of infections
- education of patients and their families on infections and the importance of hand hygiene
- development of guidelines and policies relating to infection
- audit of infection prevention and control practices, including hand hygiene, throughout the hospital
The infection prevention and control team is a multidisciplinary team who work with all healthcare staff, patients and visitors to reduce the risk of transmission of infection. The team includes microbiology consultants and registrars, clinical nurse specialists, a surgical site surveillance coordinator and an antimicrobial pharmacist.
tel: (01) 221 4948
Mon to Fri: 07:30 – 18:00